Sunday, July 31, 2011

Interview with an angel…Angelina C. Hansen


Exquisite-microphoneGood Morning everyone. Today it is my privilege to interview Angelina C. Hansen, an author of YA literature. I met Angelina in a group for writers of YA fiction on the She Writes website. It’s great site that supports women who write, but some of its members are men. Let’s get started.
                                                                                       Angelina C. Hansen
Angelina, how long have you been writing?
Since I was three, but you wouldn’t want to see that stuff. The first draft of my first novel is dated April, 28th, 2007. That must be the official date.

What inspired you to start writing?
The short answer? Boredom. The long answer? My subconscious mind had been tapping me for years. For example, seven years ago when I was house hunting, a little voice inside my head would say, “That would be a cozy place to write a novel.
It took me another three years to acknowledge that voice.

How did you discover your ‘voice’?
Opened my mouth and there it was .^_^.
But for real, my voice appeared as I was writing my second novel, a highly emotional story of my heart.

Why did you choose to write for children?
Because I’m 16. Really. I just inhabit a 40-year-old body.

Which age groups are your favorite?
Kids aged 3 to 5. They laugh when I’m being my goofy self and never roll their eyes.

What are your favorite children’s books? Authors?
As a child I was obsessed with CHARLOTTE’S WEB and THE BOXCAR CHILDREN. And I read all things Beverly Cleary, Roald Dahl, and Judy Blume.

If you could have an author as your mentor, who would you choose?
Laurie Halse Anderson who I’m looking forward to listening to at the SCBWI Summer Conference in L.A. in a few weeks.

How do you keep going when you get an industry ‘no thank you’?
What’s that? Just kidding. I take whatever feedback I receive and use it as an opportunity to improve my craft. After I stop pouting, of course.
Do you participate in a critique group? Why/Why not?
For my first novel, I had an online crit group, but now I use trusted beta readers because I can give them the entire manuscript and it doesn’t take forever.
Do you have a Social Media presence? Why?
Yes. Because networking with my fellow writers encourages, enlightens, and entertains me.

Where can we find you?
In bed. Wait. You mean online? On Verla Kay’s Blueboards, SheWrites, and Goodreads.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/AngelinaCHansen
Website: http://yascribe.com
Blog: http://yascribe.blogspot.com/

What is your dream writing related event?
Reading from my debut novel to a huge crowd in a high school auditorium without belching into the microphone.


That’s funny! I’m not sure belching into the microphone would be a big problem. Some might even join you, but that would more likely be the Freshmen class. Thank you Angelina for the chance to get to know a bit of you.

No comments: