Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Second Option

LA FreewayI have so many ideas running through my head, I imagine the neural pathways in my brain must look something like this. Oops, a bit of the psychologist just broke through. Sorry.

Yesterday I went to the local leather and saddle shop and spoke with one of the owners. I live in Arizona now and there are such things here. Really cool stuff.

I described to him what I was attempting to do for the breastplate and why. He got so excited that we must have spent at least an hour talking about the possibilities. He’s reading a book series that takes place around the same time period as my novel. He asked detailed questions about what I wanted the finished product to look like.

He pulled out his supply catalogs and explained the pros and cons of the different types of hides available and what I could expect the end products to look like. What a great guy! Then he walked me through the construction process and explained what to expect at the different stages. We talked about colorings and fasteners and methods of finishing!

I had a blast! I can’t wait for the material to come in so I can get started. It should be here next week. I’ll keep you posted on how things are going.

No comments: