Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Slow Down

Focus_ubtI have been trying to get so much done, lately--finding a designer for the book cover, making a costume for the cover model, looking for a formatter, looking into the price of printing and posters. I have so much to do and I’m trying to maintain my writing schedule at same time. There is such a thing as attempting to do too much at one time. I need to slow down.

The other day I was working on a new story for my website. It was a very short piece with an uncomplicated plot. I read through it (or so I thought I had) and the sent it off to a writer friend, Lynn Kelley, to critique. She is the sweetest and really good at catching mistakes and making suggestions.

As usual, she sent it back full of corrections and suggestions. When I reviewed her edits I almost fell off of my chair. What I had sent her was a story that made no sense!  It made about as much sense as the script in the picture, for me. My brain was so tired that what I thought I had written was definitely not what was on the page.

I really need to slow down, take some time to rejuvenate, and hopefully my writing skills will return.

No comments: