Friday, May 06, 2011

Choosing the Right Road

Fork in the roadI have come to the fork in the writing/publishing road and must make my next move. I have made a decision to e-publish one particular piece of work. This manuscript has had great difficulty finding a home. Agents and editors, alike have given it great feedback, but don’t think it’s ‘right for their list’ or ‘not a big enough book.’ So I have decided to turn it into an e-book.

Will I do this for every manuscript? I’m not sure about that. There are stories that I have written that fit the current market and do not present the same dilemma.

Having said that, the publishing industry and its reshaping to become a part of the digital age may change my view of what I want for my work. There is much to consider. Granted, there is considerable prestige to be had in following the tradition publishing route. Will that always be the case? That remains to be seen.

For now I will make that decision for each manuscript based on its own merit. What about you? What are you choosing?

No comments: