Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Making of a Story

Volcano Smoking I am often asked where I get ideas for a new story. The answer is, they come from everywhere. I can see a dog digging a hole. Most people think that the dog is digging up something it has buried, or some small animal disappeared down a hole and the dog is going after it. Not me.

I think about the dirt flying through the air and see small universes being scattered, or I wonder if something from the center of the earth will escape into our realm through that hole, or I wonder if the fleas have taken control of the dogs mind and that they are giving him an alternative to scratching them.

All of these things, and more, roll around in my mind and smolder like this volcano until they grow into a plot line and erupt into a story. Everything I see is grist for the creative story mill. So the next time you catch me staring, beware you could end up in one of my stories.

No comments: