Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Frustration!

I am so frustrated right now, I could bite someone's head off. This writing thing is crazy. It's so very difficult to know what the truth is. How on earth do I find out the truth. No one in the writing profession commits to saying anything that is helpful. That's not completely true I had an agent tell me the writing was flat in places and of course he was right.

So I went through the ms with a fine-toothed comb. I find exactly what he's talking about and change it. The flat places came from trying to put too much information in places where it wasn't necessary or helpful in moving the story along.

I wish someone could tell me if I should continue to shop the ms around or move on to the next thing. Trying to look at things realistically, I haven't sent it around as much as "they" say you should, whoever 'they' are. How many times should it go out? How do I know when to quit?

This stuff is so subjective that agents are reluctant to say it's bad because it just may not be what they like. I understand what they mean because I've had friends recommend books that they loved and I just thought they were so-so or didn't like them at all.

How do I find the agent with the taste for what I write?

No comments: