Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Deregulation of Book Events

Oh my goodness! I've been home for almost two weeks and I'm still struggling to get back into my routine. From October 24th to the 28th I was in Houston, Texas at the National Black Book Festival selling books 1 and 2 of the PRINCESS KANDAKE series. Then after I got home I had to get ready for the Arizona Reading Association, another venue where I sold my books.

Both were awesome opportunities to introduce my books to new audiences. Now I have to get back to work and it's very slow going. I can't seem to get back into the swing of things. I keep getting distracted with first one thing and then another. I am about to lose patience with myself.

You would think that I'd have figured this all out by now, but it happens every time. I go to a venue, work hard, meet lots of great people, and sell some books. On the return trip home I'm all hyped up on what I want to do next time and how much writing I want to get done. I even had a few ideas about new projects rolling around in the old noggin.

But what happens when I get home? First, I'm so tired that I sleep most of the following day. Then the next day I unpack, do laundry, reorganize books, notes, and receipts. Spend some time with my husband the day after that. The next day I go to the gym, read a book, watch a movie. By now I can't remember any of those wonderful ideas I had, so I'm frantically looking through my notebook to see if I remembered to write them down.

So here I sit, in front of my computer, wondering what it is I usually do at this time of day.


3 comments:

Hobo Annie said...

Stephanie: Sounds like you are one busy author!! I just attended a lecture with our critique pals and got some great advice...digital recorder. I went to the office supply the next day and got a little tiny thing (gone are the days of bulky cassette recorders, eh?) and I LOVE IT! I am always thinking of ideas during long drives...then forgetting them when I get out of the car. Or while folding laundry, or even watching TV. Now I just push a button and voila! Saved to listen to later. I must admit though, I feel a little like a secret service agent, talking into my cuff!

Stephanie, PQW said...

That sounds like a great idea, Annie. I'll be getting myself one.

Anonymous said...

Yvette Carol said:
Hi Stephanie, I feel your pain - having been stuck in a state of stasis the last 6 weeks myself! I used to own a nifty hand-held recorder from my journalism days. Only problem is my youngest son got to it. I still have it sitting in a drawer even though I know it doesn't work anymore. Wonder if wishful thinking can bring it back to life?