Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Cruises

Wouldn't it be fun to take a week-long cruise that was specifically for writers? I have this fantasy that all of my favorite authors and editors would be there.Then they would agree to facilitate writing workshops offering their expertise. Of course the editors would tell us what they are looking for and invite us to submit our work.

What a wonderful dream. I love getting professional feedback and direction. I wonder if a cruise like that could really happen? If there were, I would be among the first to book that trip. I get so much out of attending conferences that offer professional critiques. It gives me an idea of what I need to focus on.

I remember the first time I submitted something for critique. I was so nervous I took a digital recorder with me because I knew I would never be able to remember what was said. Their feedback was extremely helpful. It gave me a different perspective in the direction of the WIP.

This year I'm putting together a list of conferences and workshops to make sure I don't miss the ones I'm really interested in. To date, my favorite conference has be the SCBWI Summer Conference and the Agents' Day workshop put on by my regional chapter of the same organization. These two events have given me help, direction, and encouragement.

What are your favorites?

No comments: