Thursday, July 04, 2013

Celebrating Independence


fireworksToday is the day we celebrate the independence of this great nation. Being great doesn’t mean that the United States is free from problems or short comings, because there are both. Being great means that its citizens have the power to create new ideas and directions. It means that its citizens have the power to make substantive changes at its core.

It is this thought that brought me to the decision of becoming an independent author. I want to be more than just a content provider. Where my books are concerned, I am the creative director. The books I write have a particular feel to them. That requires more than just the cover and content to be in sync. Promotion and marketing must have that same atmosphere.

As an independent author I am deeply involved in every aspect of my books from concept to production. To carry off something like this I need to fan the flames of my control gene. I admit that I do have one, but that’s what keeps everything connected and moving in the right direction. I have also renamed the arena/genre I write for. Instead of middle grade, I write for 'Tweens!

And yes, I celebrate with fireworks. They take the form of flashes of brilliance (You may laugh, but I do get them from time to time.)

Celebrate your independence with me. Happy 4th of July!

No comments: