Monday, September 14, 2009

Learning and Opportnity

OMG! I just got back from a fantastic weekend, one of learning and opportunity. I'll start with the learning. This weekend was the SCBWI-LA Writer's Retreat. It was great. There were two editors present, Martha Mahalik, Associate Editor of Greenwillow, an imprint of HarperCollins and Arthur A. Levine, Vice President at Scholastic Inc. and the Pulisher of Arthur A. Levine Books, a literary, hardcover imprint of Scholastic. Both were kind enough to facilitate critique groups. Does it get any better than that? I don't think so.

Both gave me incredible feedback on the pieces I read. I can't imagine anything better than learning from these two. They were kind, imformative, and helpful. The things they pointed out became immediately apparent the moment the words left their mouths. I can't wait to get started on the revisions! With their help, my work can't do anything but get better.

Now for the opportunity. That loud, earpiercing scream you head yesterday was my reaction to Arthur Levine telling me that I am a good writer AND giving me an invitation to submit the piece he critiqued to him.

Okay, that was me screaming again. But can you blame me? The opportunities keep getting better and better. Then at the end of the weekend an agent offered me her card and expressed an interest in seeing my work.

Yeah, I did it again. In my place you would be screaming too. OMG!

Well, I have a lot of work to do so I'll have to write more later.

No comments: