Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Doing Better

Today I am making the final corrections on the pieces I'm presenting at the Working Writer's Retreat. I'm having a blast working on three different stories at a time. The common thread between them is that they are science fiction; two far future and one comtenporary.

It reminds me why I do this. I love writing. I love having the characters talk in my head. Everything the characters say and the things they do gives me massive thrills. Not like a roller coaster or watching an action movie, but pretty darn close. It must be tapping into the same endorphens.

New stories are the best. I have to come up with a story line, characters, climax. It's just so good. I enjoy creating main characters, getting to know them, understanding their weaknesses and strengths. Super cool. But even better than that is creating a character that people will love to hate. For some reason that takes me over the top.

I'll  have to stop and sort that one out. Maybe there's some vicarious need being fulfilled. Or possibly some chathartic discharge when I foil their desires, even kill them off. Did I mention that I love it?

When I stay away from the computer too long it's like I'm jonesing for that endorphen rush and I go running back into the story. How about you? What gets you going?

No comments: