Friday, August 28, 2009

Revision, Revision

I've been working on a near final revision. It's complete and on it's way. I sent it to a reader and am anxiously awaiting her comments. I'm dying to see what she thinks works and doesn't work.

I remember when I first started writing. All I wanted a reader to do was to tell me how wonderful they thought the ms was and that somehow they were going to make sure I got it published. Geesh. Today it's all about telling an unforgettable story, carrying the reader on a journey that they never want to end. I'm working on getting there one line at a time and I'm getting closer.

I've been reading Savvy by Ingrid Law. It is wonderfully captivating. I can see how she earned the Newberry Honor. My end goal is to be able to transport my readers to that book's world. I want them to become so engrossed that when they look up from the page they're shocked to find themselves someplace else. Reading Savvy I experienced that level of writing and I won't quit until I get there.

I'm curious, what's your goal as a writer?

No comments: