Monday, September 10, 2007

Hi all. Sorry for neglecting you. I've been writing and reading. The characters of the current novel I'm writing have moved into my head, and that's a good thing. But it leaves little space for anything else. I'm so busy puzzling over plot twists and characterization that breaking away from it feels like an abandonment of the work. And once I get it figured out, I start rehearsing in my head how it would look and sound.

It occurs to me that much of the writing process takes place in my head. By the time I get to the computer to write it down it just flows from my fingertips. But here's the drawback. If I get interrupted and have to do something else, it is often difficult to remember what was going to happen next. I need to find a way to make notes that will bring me back to where I left off.

There continues to be so much to learn in this process. What amazes me most is that while I am attempting to learn about writing I am actually learning about myself. Some of the things I am learning about me I'd prefer not to know. They are not the most attractive. But at least this way I have the option to change.

Many of the things I'm learning about me are rather pleasant and come through my characters. Pretty cool. The best discovery is that I have a passion for those I care about, even greater that I had already believed.

I am finding that I really enjoy writing. I like the shift that happens in my brain and the creativity that it opens for my life as a whole. The journey is wonderful.
J

No comments: