Monday, July 12, 2010

Wonderful Distractions

I told you my husband retired last month and he is my wonderful distraction. It's awesome having him home, but I can't seem to get anything done. The problem isn't him, it's me! I go into my study and sit in front of my computer. I even open the files I need to work on. When I'm in here, he doesn't come in to disturb me or even call me into the room where he is. He respects my space and waits until I'm either taking a break or finished with that session.

It's me! Here's how it happens. I'm sitting in front of the computer, writing or revising whatever. I hear him laugh or comment about something in another room. I have to go see what he's saying or doing. I know the man isn't talking to me. He could be talking to our daughter, the grandchildren, or even on the telephone, but I have to go. He doesn't even have to be saying anything, just the thought of him being there sends me scurrying to look at him.

He's really supportive of my writing. He asks, "Are you taking a break now, you just got started?" Or "Did you finish that scene already?" Sometimes it's even, "Did you need to read something to me?" He's really a great guy and that's part of the problem. I just want to be around him all of the time.

He assures me it will wear off as time goes by, but I'm not sure. He even offered to leave the house while I write. That's not going to happen, I just got him back! I have to hope he's right about the newness wearing off, otherwise I'm in deep trouble. It's just that he's hot, and buff, and nice like all firemen. And he's MINE!

No comments: