Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hi all, I'm back. I've been away earning a living and taking classes to renew my license. Not fun, but necessary, and none of it has anything to do with writing.

Oh well, at least I'm back. I've started reading a book I wish I had come across a year and a half ago. It talks about writing in a way that makes sense to me. The chapter I read today discussses the 'sound' of writing and suggests new writers spend time reading poetry. What an awesome recommendation.

In my critique group, one of the writers is a wonderful poet. It's her writing that taught me the 'sound' I'm trying for; the way the words flow from one another. Her writing is visual and has texture.

I'm learning to weave sound and texture through my words. I have to confess, it is no mean fete. I imagine if I practice enough it should get easier as I go along.

If I keep chipping away at that mile I'm working on, I just might get it accomlished. How about you?

J

No comments: