Thursday, December 21, 2006

It's been a while since I have posted. The truth is that I have been afraid to write...anything. Here's the truth. I recently received a critique and I felt completely discouraged.

It is extremely hard for me to sort out what is 'good' critique from a style preference. After struggling with the comments I finally determined that about 30% of the critique warranted my attention the rest may not have been valid. But the result for me was discouragement. After that I developed a 'fear' of writing. Afraid that I can't write. Afraid that I won't write.

I talked to several friends that they all said that I can either keep at it and eventually succeed or I can throw in the towel. After all, very few people make it anyway. I would really like to be one of those few, so I guess it means that I'd better keep at it.

I'm committing, once again to the process; re-writing old pieces and making them better and writing new pieces and making them my best. I don't doubt that I'll get discouraged again. I just trust that my good friends will continue to tell me the truth and give me a swift kick when I need it.

J

No comments: