Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving day has come and gone and Christmas is upon us. Every writing prompt or contest has to do with the holidays. I imagine that there is some belief among quite a few people that the holidays inspire creativitiy. But not for me. I can never think of a thing to write about. It seems that I am stymied at every attempt at such a prompt.

I neither believe that there is too little nor too much conflict surrounding the subject. It's just that every story I come up with feels trite. My imagination just goes flat.

Ask me to write about things that aren't or things that could be. Then my brain begins to zoom. Sparks fly across the synapses. Nerve endings sizzle. I love thinking about possibilities or even impossibilities.

I wonder what it is like to be suspended within a cloud, to harness the raw power of thunder, to ride on the rays of the sun, or trap the wind within my hair. Haven't you ever imagined yourself doing the impossible? Shape-shifting, teleporting, whispering into the mind of another or using the mundane in extraordinary ways.

These are the shapes of things that race through my mind.

J

No comments: