Tuesday, November 21, 2006

It looks like I am able to find my own blog intentionally and consistently. So, I will begin the true journal today.

I began writing several years ago. I thought it would be fun and that it couldn't be too hard. After all, I have a doctorate. It couldn't be harder than that, could it? Boy was I wrong. I thought I would start with picturebooks, something easy. Wrong again! I soon realized that my 'voice' isn't right for it. Then I moved on to middle grade novels. Better, but not quite a match. I thought I'd try young adult and found a really good fit. So I began writing a young adult science fiction novel.

It took me about nine months to complete. Then I did edits and rewrites, with the help of my critique group of course. I submitted it for critique to a group of writing professionals at this year's WorldCon. I got fairly good feedback, but...I soon realized what I thought was a finished product was a really good draft.

What I am learning is not only the craft of writing, but also the discipline of writing, sans the arrogance of the intelligent. Boy, do I have a lot to learn.

What about you? Please feel free to comment. I look forward to hearing from you.
J

No comments: