Wednesday, April 16, 2014

New Ideas Have No Manners

Recently the idea for a new series has invaded my mind. It's there when I wake up in the morning with scenes and dialog trampling through every thought I have. It's there in the evening when I'm trying to settle in for a good night's sleep. The ideas are even there when I'm trying to have a conversation with those around me. While this is wonderfully exciting, it is also most inconvenient.

Right now I'm in the middle of writing two books: the 4th book of the PRINCESS KANDAKE series and a new contemporary science fiction piece. How can I possibly start something else? There are only so many hours in a day and only so much space in my brain.

Nevertheless, this new idea comes barging right in and taking over. I see the main character in every daydream. I hear snippets of conversation between the characters and I don't even know their names, yet. Today the entire beginning of the story unfolded while I was in the middle of my morning ablutions. The dang thing is relentless!

Because I have no choice I cry, 'uncle.' I surrender! I must begin to write some of it down before it all disappears into the ethers. So, when I should be working on the other two pieces, here I sit at my computer banging out the first few pages. Sheesh! Such rude behavior.

No comments: