Monday, May 17, 2010

I Can't Believe It's Been So Long!

Oh my goodness, how long does a cold last, anyway. Today I finally woke up with energy, feeling well, and having a brain. Although, there are those that would say that the brain thing is debatable.

Saturday I attended Agent's Day in Newport Beach, a SCBWI event where four agents presented. I rode down with three of my writing buddies. It was great to catch up on what we're all doing and hoping for. The weather was overcast (surprise... not) with a cool breeze. Two of the four agents really impressed me. They presented as informative and human. The last characteristic is really important. 

Writing is fun and enjoyable even though it is a lot of work. Submitting is a little scary, but a necessity. Meeting agents and editors is terrifying! I always go to brain freeze when there's an opportunity to speak with them. I push myself to do it, but afterward I kick myself for not talking about anything interesting. My assumption is that if I continue to work at it, this disability will leave me.

Saturday I had a moment to speak with one of the agents. She was immediately approachable, inviting, and warm. We talked about reading my work and her backlog of things to get done. I realize that all agents have pile of work to do, not to mention the queries that flood their mailboxes (email included) daily, but sometimes the way they present this is a little off-putting. What I hear is, "I'm not sure if reading your work is worth the time I'd be taking from more pressing things." I doubt that any of them is ever saying that, but it's how it comes across to me. This particular agent didn't have any of that tone in her conversation with me or any of the others at the event.

I hope that when she reads my submission she finds it something she would love to represent. I'd love to work with her.

No comments: