Thursday, July 16, 2009

Discouraged and Rising

Today I'm walking through the throws of being the discouraged writer. I'm sure it won't last for long, but in this moment it feels like my writing feet are stuck in the morass of doubt and fear. Why am I here again? Not really sure. I think what's pulling me down is the worry that I'll never get it 'right'. Whatever 'right' is.

There has to be a 'right' otherwise there would be no need for rejection letters. Or are things so subjective (this possibility terrifies me and is probably more accurate) that there's no 'right' way, just a group of industry professionals who are looking for something specific that they haven't defined for themselves. When asked at conferences or events what they are looking for, their response is always: I don't know, but I'll know it when I see it. AUGH! That's worse than no answer.

So I struggle through the next revision wondering if I'm correcting the problem or just adding to it. I've thought about utilizing a developmental editor, but who has that kind of money? Certainly not me.

That leaves me with the vagaries of critique groups. I'm not doubting their value. I believe critique groups are an essential part of the writing process, especially for the developing writer. It's that the groups I'm involved with have no published writers. That leaves me questioning some of what they say.

It would be awesome if there were a mentoring opportunity for me. Someone I could ask who has first-hand knowledge of the publishing industry. There may be someone like that out there, but I haven't a clue where or how to begin the search. Do mentors even exist anymore?

What's your take on this?

No comments: